Friday, June 1, 2012

Money Can Buy This Mama Happiness

When your kids are eerily quiet for any extended period of time, nine times out of ten it’s because they’re trying to burn your house down.  But every once in a blue moon, the stars all align, and the pip squeaks somehow actually manage to….. *gasp*….. play quite nicely together.  Sure, you might have to pay them for that momentary bit of peace and quiet, but we all know it’s totally worth every flippin’ penny.

Take, for instance, this past weekend when my little monsters holed themselves up in their bedroom for nearly two whole hours without so much as a single peep from either of them.   I had to keep poking my head in there every once in a while just to make sure that one of them hadn’t killed off the other.  They continuously reassured me, however, that they were setting up a “shop” of some sort and that everything was a-ok.  And, given that I sure as heck don’t like to miss out on such rare opportunities, I milked this one for all it was worth.  No, we didn’t have nap, but I was able to read an entire half of an Us Magazine!

As it turned out, though, this solitude did not come for free.  The so-called “shop” (and I use that term very loosely) that our little Picassos had created was actually an art store in which they were selling “one-of-a-kind” pieces for a very limited time.  The fact that I was the ONLY customer within a 1000-mile radius left me with no other choice but to purchase all available art work.  I mean, who am I to turn our backs on young, starving artists?  After all, I did get to catch up on my celebrity gossip while their creative minds were hard at work.

I must say that I’ve gotta hand it to my budding entrepreneurs and their collaborative money-making skills.  It’s actually pretty darn clever!  Plus, it’s totally a win-win situation for all of us.  Cause hey, if some lint-covered spare change from the bottom of my purse can buy me a few extra moments to myself?  Well, that’s an offer I can’t very well refuse.  And they say money can’t buy you happiness….

1 comment: