Friday, June 22, 2012

Artwork Destroyed (Disgruntled Thoughts from My 5-Year-Old)

I can remember it all like it was yesterday, because that’s when it happened.

My mom had asked me to throw away my empty Yoplait yogurt wrapper instead of chucking it on the floor. And by “asking” I mean she launched into that grating dictatorial tone that the CIA should use for audio torture.

Any who, I lift the lid of the trashcan and what do I see? One of my paintings that I had painstakingly created at preschool after naptime and before outside play!! I called it, simply, “Rainbow.”


One day, this painting coulda bought me a house.

There it was, crushed, broken and inert. Five minutes of my life down the potty. Seeing it shoved into that cavernous reeking void made me lose it like only a true tortured artist can.

That woman is lucky I’m only allowed near the butter knives or I would’ve lobbed off my own ear, Van Gogh-style, in protest.

Here’s the thing: My mom knows absolutely NOTHING about art. Yes, to be fair, she has supported some of my major exhibits. My “Superman with Sun In Upper Left Hand Corner” retrospective that’s currently on display in the kitchen and my controversial “Traced Hands” series that’s still on exhibition on the refrigerator.

When I confronted my Irresponsible mom on how she could trash my cherished artwork at first all she could muster was, ‘I’m sorry.’ Yeah. Sorry you got caught.

Her excuse for destroying a priceless canvas? Apparently there just isn’t enough room in our house to display or even store all the art I produce. It’s true I am quite prolific. Everyday, in fact, I create between 6 and 15,000 pieces of inspired art. You know what I say? House isn’t big enough to display my genius? BUY A  BIGGER DANG HOUSE. Problem solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment