Thursday, March 28, 2013

My 3 Best Reads

Let me start by saying that I am failing miserably in this attempt to do a solid 30 Day Blog-A-Thon. I'm pretty sure that ya'll forgive me, but I'm just going to apoligize anyway. I looked at the calendar yesterday and realized that I have 65 days until we move to Nicaragua. SIXTY-FIVE, people. I'm just a little-sorta-a-lot freaking out right about now, because I have yet to sell or pack a SINGLE item yet. Procrastination at it's finest. It's a gift, I tell ya. With that said, I will get all 30 days out to you eventually. Not to worry.

Today's prompt is "Your three favorite books". This is a hard one for me because I am SUCH a bookworm,  but I have had to put that hobby on hold for some time now. I've read about 3 books in the last 6 months, and usually in that time, I've knocked out about 20. I heart reading. Everything about it. But mainly getting lost in the lives of someone completely different. Fiction will always be my love, but I've dabbled some more in theology and christian inspiration as of late too. The three books I've chosen as My 3 Best Reads are ones that I recommend wholeheartedly for anyone. Male or female. I'll give you a brief synopsis of each, but really you should just run down the road to the nearest Barnes and Noble and snag them for yourselves. Like, yesterday, because that's how good they are.

Radical by David Platt

If you never listen to another word I ever say, please listen to this. READ. THIS. BOOK. NOW.
I'm not even exaggerating when I say that it is one of the most life-altering, spiritually motivating books I've ever read to date. I just wanted to highlight the entire thing. David Platt is a pastor of a mega-church and his perspective on "taking back your faith from the American Dream" will inspire you in a big way. I read it in it's entirety in a matter of hours.







The Stonewycke Trilogy 
by M. Phillips & J. Pella

Do you enjoy trilogies?? Who doesn't, right? This is all three books in one and I would recommend reading them just that way. When you finish one, immediately start the other. They are truly amazing. It is the saga of forbidden love with a special twist. Generations of one family in search for what's most important in life. Very moving!






Thurston House by Danielle Steel

Thurston House is the fictional tale of a family legacy with deep, dark secrets. It's full of passion, romance, mystery, generational curses, and one house who sees it all. I just ADORE generational sagas and this is one of my all-time favorites. It's a thicker read, but so worth it. You truly fall in love with this family.








There you have it. I have sooooooo many more that I could recommend to you. And I will, because it's my blog and I don't have to limit myself to only three, so I will leave you with a few more "runner's up", if you will. :)

 


What are YOUR 3 Best Reads??

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these!
    Here are mine:
    1: Hush-Hush, by Becca Fitzpatrick
    2: Abandon, Meg Cabot
    3: What is Man, Mark Twain
    The first two have to deal with my own dreams of my writing career and what I want to write. The last one, well, it's nerdy but I studied it in college and fell in love with the way he made me laugh at myself and laugh at the world.

    ~Erika
    My blog post on this is listed on my blog:
    www.cloudninegirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Non fiction: Longitude by Sobel, The Tipping Point by Gladwell, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Covey / Fiction: Margaret Weis's Star of the Guardians Triology;The Lost King; King's Test, and King's Sacrifice.(I think about these books often), Sandstone by James Rollins(I like all his books;I learn so much), Blink of an Eye by Dekker

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. 1000 gifts was probably my all time favorite, especially in the Christian world
    2. Wicked- I'm pretty sure he's brilliant. I loved the way he played with the nature of evil in it.
    3. Harry Potter- because I am a nerd :)

    ReplyDelete