Monday, May 21, 2012

26.2 Miles of Peace and Quiet

Sounds blissful, right?  Sure, if you're behind the wheel of a convertible headed for the beach leaving your two screaming toddlers at home with the grandparents!  Who doesn't enjoy a solo road trip now and again?

Unfortunately, that's not the mileage I'm talking about today.

Let's "marathon-talk", shall we?  It's a first for me.

It's something that I've had on the bucket list since my teenage years, and am just now getting around to. Just as my bones are starting to do some creaking and popping. Wonderful timing, Michelle.  This should have been tackled at 22. . .before kids. . .when you at least still had the time and energy for a shower every morning.

Nevertheless, I've decided to take on the massive challenge of a marathon at 30-years-old.  And I've decided to do it in less than a year.

(Let the eye-rolling begin.)

I know I can barely get out of pajamas most days.  I know I still "nap" with my toddlers every afternoon and lounge on the couch, channel-surfing most evenings. This is definitely not going to be the easiest thing I've ever done. But mama's got a "muffin-top" that rivals anything Betty Crocker is baking up and these thighs aren't going to walk themselves off. Something's gotta give!

I don't know how to run. . .this is a given. But I do know a thing or two about blogging, so I'm going to start there. Don't worry, your google readers are not about to be flooded with mileage trackers and diet smoothie recipes! I'm taking this madness somewhere else. For those of you who would like to watch me trip over my own shoelaces and attempt the impossible for the next 50 weeks, feel free to join me at

Here's an excerpt of what's in store:

I'm a stay-at-home-mom. Must I elaborate?

Because 26.2 miles of peace and quiet sounds like heaven on earth, doesn't it?!

Because it's cheap therapy and because I love a good adrenaline high.

Because running around keeps me from running away. Literally.

Being a wife and a mom and a woman in general can be overwhelming. And let's be real honest here. . .all those days of laundry, cleaning up spill after spill, dirty diaper after dirty diaper, breaking up ongoing sibling fights, and having little people on your heels every minute of everyday is enough to make anyone want to drink themselves under the table.

So I'll run.


Come join me on this journey to crazy-town personal empowerment! I'll need all the inspiration and encouragement I can take! My 50 weeks of "From Couch Potato to Marathon Mom" training begins TODAY!

Happy Monday, ya'll! 

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea!! :) As soon as I take my nap, I'll be right there with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I definitely want to follow along with you on this. Not sure if I'm brave enough to join in but I'm not totally opposed :)

    ReplyDelete